Zito is looking for a Fiber Technician to be responsible for the terminating, splicing, documenting and testing of all fiber optic cables within Zito Media's fiber optic networks and their related equipment with the end goal of providing maximum operating efficiency. Also responsible for customer premise installations, including racking, cabling, bonding, and grounding. Coordinate fiber activities with other departments and the Manager of Outside Plant. Perform ring cuts on live fiber without affecting existing services. Perform fiber tests with OTDRs, light source and meters. Terminates, splices, bonds/grounds and tests fiber optic equipment to division standards. Provides accurate equipment location, splicing and terminating records for the fiber database. Assists the Construction and Engineering departments in accepting and turning up the fiber network. Builds bays, racking, jumper ducts and other network elements needed for the installing of fiber optic equipment and patch and panels. Monitor, communicate and perform corrective actions to fix problems affecting any fiber or fiber related equipment. Install demarcation enclosures, switches and other telecom equipment.
- Familiar with standards and best practices for premise entry and electronic equipment installation.
- Understanding of the technologies and standards as they apply to the installation of fiber optic networks.
- Ability to differentiate color codes, as well as read and understand manufacturer's manuals for operating and repairing of electronic equipment and components.
- Proficient in the operation of all related fiber tools and equipment.
- Working knowledge of design and layout for fiber terminations.
- Possess a good understanding of fiber documentation and have the ability to assist in laying out new fiber circuits.
- Possess good understanding of Direct Current and Alternating Current wiring and operation
- Experience with bucket trucks and safety procedures.
- Basic courtesy, diplomatic abilities and a pleasant demeanor.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers and other staff.
- Work a variety of schedules in order to provide needed coverage, for both normal duty and on-call duty.
- Schedule will include extended travel and overnights
- 2+ years of outside plant fiber splicing and customer premise equipment installation.
- Experience with the following equipment: fusion splicer, mechanical splicer, OTDR, power meters, traffic identifiers, digital multimeters, cleavers, strippers, buffer tube splitters, cable ring tools, hand tools, toners, rodders, ladders, bucket trucks, etc.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision, within broad guidelines of procedures and goals, able to apply technical expertise to a variety of situations, evaluating problems and implementing the best solutions.
- Work well under pressure and deadline environments.
- Maximum body weight cannot exceed 280 pounds in order to comply with safety limitations of equipment.
- Climb poles; carry, set-up and extend ladders weighing up to 100 lbs., as well as work with confidence on ladders and utility poles at heights of up to 40 feet.
- Work indoors and outdoors in all types of weather.
- Visual and aural acuity to operate a variety of standard test and measurement equipment.
- High school diploma or equivalent and minimum one (1) year of directly related experience.
- Valid state driver's license along with an excellent driving record.
Zito is headquartered in Potter County, PA, and we are independently owned and operated. Our staff and management team are well-seasoned and we are passionate about providing great products and services, coupled with responsive customer care.
Our goal is to provide our customers with the best possible level of Video, Data, and Voice Services. Zito is committed to an ongoing culture of technological innovation, and as such, we will continue to deliver new and advanced services as they become available.